Nostalgia is a funny thing. Especially when it's for a place and time you can't really remember.
I have only a few vague memories of our four years in Colorado, seeing as we moved away when I was 5. Going back to visit Littleton was thus more a discovery, rather than re-visiting of my past.
It was poignant for me to put things in perspective as I reflected that when I moved into this house on S. Elati St. over 25 years ago, I was about the same age that my son is now. The experiences and milestones I'm now witnessing in Xavier were what my parents saw me do in this house. I ran and jumped in that yard, played in that driveway, and probably threw a few tantrums within those walls and dropped food on those floors.
I was once little child and in seeing this place and seeing my son now, in a way, I'm able to glimpse my former self.
I have only a few vague memories of our four years in Colorado, seeing as we moved away when I was 5. Going back to visit Littleton was thus more a discovery, rather than re-visiting of my past.
It was poignant for me to put things in perspective as I reflected that when I moved into this house on S. Elati St. over 25 years ago, I was about the same age that my son is now. The experiences and milestones I'm now witnessing in Xavier were what my parents saw me do in this house. I ran and jumped in that yard, played in that driveway, and probably threw a few tantrums within those walls and dropped food on those floors.
I was once little child and in seeing this place and seeing my son now, in a way, I'm able to glimpse my former self.

They hacked down our sliding bush! Not to mention to porch railing. And does it look darker to anyone else?
ReplyDeleteOh, I think I would love to visit and walk down memory lane too. Littleton was a good place for me. Thanks for sharing!
Definitely looks different without the huge bush in front...so exposed. Probably needed to come out though. When I saw the pic I immediately pictured the layout, the silver backed green fuzzy wallpaper in the back bedroom, the fake logs in the basement fireplace, the pale blue curtains over bookcases making a fourth wall and thus another bedroom, and ofcourse the rounded bar downstairs. And then there is the pic of me in the living room when one of our exchange students was there and I was 'showing off' by putting my body in some angular contortion. :)
ReplyDeleteIt may look darker because the trees in the front yard are so tall they cast shadows on the house. I don't remember the tree on the right of the drive at all--or the cracks in the driveway.
ReplyDeleteMom
Thanks for the picture. Lys and Carrie definitely have clearer visual memories of the house than I do.
ReplyDelete