Sunday, January 31, 2010

Like Father, Like Son

It is no secret that I love my son and feel privileged to be his father. When his face lights up, something inside of me does too. The bond between us hasn’t existed for that long, yet it seems merely the continuation of a great intergenerational legacy.

During the baby shower that my family threw for us at the reunion last summer, I opened a gift from my mother. The non-descript cardboard box held a onesie. The garment was sky blue with a subtle white grid pattern, and yellow rocking horse in the middle. It brought a tear to my eye.

We’ve received many gifts of baby clothing from many people, but this one was different: it was an outfit that I had worn as an infant, and which she had saved for over 25 years to give to me when I had a son.

More than a simple outfit, that fabric represented a link in history: a passage from one generation to the next. It was a tangible reminder that my parents knew me as a little baby, and a symbol of the enduring bond that we have. On the face, it was a gift for Xavier, but more meaningfully, it was a gift for me.

On a recent trip out to see my parents, we got some photos of Xavier wearing the outfit. Looking at my boy in my arms, I imagined how the same scene played out a quarter century ago, as I sat in my father’s arms and smiled up at him.


Spencer at 6 weeks.Xavier at 4 months.


Daddy once was a little child......a little child like me.


Joy


Father and SonDaddy's Boy

6 comments:

  1. I love it! Now I really want to save something for each of my kids (of course I have to make sure they've had a picture or two taken while wearing it so they can compare like you). What precious pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable!

    Are you really just 6 weeks in those photos? You're huge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lys - I'm thinking of doing the same thing! Fortunately with digital cameras you may well have pictures of them in just about every outfit they've worn. But then again, something in a more formal posed picture is nice for comparison's sake. I've been looking forward to writing this post for months.

    Cor - The outfit says it's sized 6-9 months, and I'm certainly tempted to believe that I was six months, but "6 weeks old" is clearly written on the back of the photo. That and Mom's journal reports that at 6 months old I was wearing 18-month clothing. So yeah, I was a bit of a "Buddha baby."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Xavier is so adorable!!! I think it's interesting that you were 6 wks old when you wore that outfit and he is 4 mos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, Spen. You were a fattie. I think we all remember the "Lys holding Spen" pic (in a cemetary, I think?) where you were about crushing her. Hm. Now that's a photo worth recreating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwww... love the pics guys! Keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete