Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Upward Mobility


Xavier has been getting much more proficient at walking over the last two days. It started yesterday evening. We all went out to celebrate Xavier's mobile achievements with a little ice cream from Giffords (Xavier has a banana I brought along). Spencer and I sat outside on an artsy slab of granite, warm from the heat of the afternoon, and watched Xavier play in the fountains located just outside of Giffords, near Clyde's. (The same fountains as in this picture taken today). It was so cute. Xavier just kneeled near the fountains for the longest time watching two other children play. Then, he began to play in the water himself. He alternated between crawling and standing. He loved just putting his hands in water spray and getting wet on such a warm evening. Then, he started to walk around. It was so adorable to watch. He was shaky, as was to be expected, yet so determined. He fell over a couple times, but managed to catch himself, all but once, before he hit his head on the unforgiving stone. Spencer took his hand and followed him around the area as the night drew more dim. Xavier seemed so compelled to keep going, keep walking, keep moving. He didn't even want to hold Spencer's hand all of the time; he wanted to be independent exercising his new strides. It was so sweet to see Spencer and Xavier just playing and walking together. It was a tender time they shared together--just loving being together, just loving each other.

As summer draws to a close, forced by the starting of school, I am a little sad because I know that with his school- and work- load, Spencer and Xavier won't get to spend as many tender moments together.

But oh! I should be thrilled! I have a wonderful husband who works to keep us out of poverty. He works so that I can be home with Xavier. He goes to one of the best schools with a top-rated program so that he can increase his skills and career potential. He does all of this for our whole family. I am so blessed; I know this. Yet, my heart yearns for more of his time. More moments like last night. More chances to see my two boys hand in hand.

1 comment:

  1. So much joy; so much love. You and Xavier will always hold the center of Spencer's heart.
    Darling photos.

    Mom C

    ReplyDelete