Saturday, March 6, 2010

I'm a good swimmer. I'm just slow.

You know the expression: "to leave someone (or something) in your dust"? Well, in the swimming world, I found out today, the expression is: to leave someone in your bubbles. I felt like I was swimming in soda pop.

I went to the Wilson Aquatic Center to go swimming today. I quickly realized how popular the lap pool is on a Saturday morning. From the observation deck I observed fourteen people in one of the lanes. I didn't know if I should continue with my planned swim or not.

Well, I got to the pool. In my lane, the one marked SLOW, there were only 10 swimmers. Still intimidating. I considered getting into the lane marked LEISURE, but I was there with hand-paddles and a stop watch/lap counter. I was clearly not there for leisure. I am a good swimmer, and a serious swimmer, I am just slow. Besides, there were many people in the leisure lane also.

So, I got in. The great thing about swimming is that under the water all is calm and quiet. You may not even notice other people in the same lane as you if you are all going about the same pace. I experienced this the last time I swam. There were about 5 people in my lane and several times I thought everyone had left and I was alone. But when I stopped and looked I realized that I was certainly not alone.

Anyway, back at the pool... I got in the SLOW lane and started swimming. I really had a few very enjoyable laps. I really enjoy the sound of the water and the rhythm of my breathing. Anyway, a couple of people passed me. No big deal. That's how it goes when eleven people are sharing one lane. Well, I got passed again. And then again. And again. I was feeling like maybe I should have chosen the LEISURE lane until I realize that I was getting passed by the same two people every time. And if the same two people were always passing me and there were eight other people in the pool, they must be passing those other eight people as well. If this was the case, maybe these two were not really slow swimmers, but taking advantage of the lane with fewer people.

To this I say: If you are not a slow swimmer, don't use the slow lane!

1 comment:

  1. The Aquatic Center sounds amazing. I wish I had a place like that to visit. (I would also be in the slow lane.) Unfortunately, I'm still a pretty bad swimmer, and I've had to gradually overcome my anxieties about swimming. But when I do get to the gym, I usually find swimming very peaceful, almost spiritual.

    ReplyDelete