May 11, 2021
Two Score Road Trip, Day 6: Oklahoma!
I am so glad I stayed to check this town out properly, even though when I woke up in the morning all I wanted to do was get out of there. I didn't sleep well. The walls were very thin and the cursing and yelling at 2 AM filled me with fear--I told myself that my room was locked and that I would be okay, and I believed it, but still, it is hard to sleep when that kind of thing happens.
A heavy downpour greeted me in the morning. This put a bit of a damper on my outdoor plans. But in the end, it all worked out well. Here are some highlights from Lawton.
Camanche Indian Museum:
Museum of the Great Plains: This was an amazing museum and I wish the kids were able to see it. It was very much geared towords kids. There was a buffalo that you can take apart and figure out how to use EVERY part of the body. INCREDIBLE!But the best part, to me, was the interpreter in the trading post exhibit. He was a really nice man who knew EVERY POSSIBLE THING anyone could ever want to know about Oklahoma History, ever. I think we talked (mostly he talked) for 2 hours or so. He was really interesting. Here are some pics from inside the Trading post.
After leaving the Museum of Great Plains I started off North. It was
really neat to watch the landscape continue to change. Lots and lots of
windmills over here. I find the mesmerizing.
I hadn't anticipated how rural this area was going to be. At one point I
nearly ran out of gas. I was chatting with Spencer at the time on the
phone when the gas light came on. I couldn't really stop to check the
map, though luckily Spencer was able to look
it up from where he was. He could see that I was 15 miles away from the
gas station. I just kept on going and hoping that I wouldn't run out
before then. And phew! I made it. And drove a short ways on Route 66 on
the way!
This is a blade from a wind turbine. They are huge!
The landscape and feel is a lot like Idaho, North of where I grew up. They even have a Sinclair! Haven't seen one of those for a loooong time.















Those wind turbine blades are huge. Some are made near San Marcos, so we often see them being transported up the freeway, which is easier to deal with than when you get behind the truck on the two-lane road they take when first leaving the factory!
ReplyDelete