Friday, May 14, 2021

Two Score Road Trip, Day 8: PriceTower, Natural Falls and Eureka

 May 13, 2021


 Two Score road trip Day 8

Price Tower, Bartlesville, OK

Holy Moly! I can't even believe what happened this morning! I went down to breakfast and was planning to just grab it and go upstairs, back to my room and eat while I packed up. However,  in a split-second decision I decided to stay and eat at one of the open tables. It was only myself and one other lady in the dining room. We struck up a conversation and started talking. She was absolutely delightful. As we were we're talking her friend came in and said that their tour was starting. Then the first woman turned to me and asked if I wanted to join them. I said sure without even thinking about it. Part of me thought I should be getting out of here, but the other part said, this will be an amazing experience. The tour was 25 bucks and the lady paid for me and told me it was a birthday present. Couldn't believe it! Anyway, we took a tour throughout the price Tower and we also had a tour through the other center next to it. I don't remember the name right now. But it was neat. So fascinating! It just goes to show the when you take the more open approach to life, you leave room for experiences that you may not have had otherwise had you stuck to a very rigid schedule. This has been absolutely incredible. 

Here are some pics from the tour. We got to see many thing, including the private apartment of Mr. Price, with original furniture.

 

I left at noon for Natural Falls State Park. It was beautiful. There was a gentle walk to the top of the waterfall but the rest of it was varying degrees of steep. At one point I swear it was at 50% grade. Boy did calves burn! Something I found interesting though, so far on this trip every establishment I have been in to, the workers at least are wearing masks. Sometimes patrons are and sometimes patrons aren't.And of course there are varying degrees of masking enforcement. But here, at natural Falls State Park, I was really surprised that inside the visitor center none of the workers wore masks. I found it odd.




While on the road, I passed a semi truck carrying, literally, a truck load of chickens. Live chickens. I've seen truckloads of cattle, I've seen horses in horse trailers, but never chickens.

After the state park, I stopped in Tontitown to get gas. This also happens to be the town where some semi celebrities live that I very loosely follow every now and then. I kind of was hoping with my recent luck that I would run into them in the gas station. Ha! Well, I didn't. But I did see someone in the gas station buying things with out a shirt on. I thought that was very confident of him. I also saw some very "colorful" local spices.

 

Then it was on to Eureka Springs! It really is a cute little town. I parked at the bottom of the hill and I walked up and checked out the town on foot. There are historic markers and such that tell the story of the place. It sounds very similar to Hot Springs National Park, where there are many Springs seeping out of the mountain and people first came here hoping to find a cure for their ailments. The town has quite a touristy feel to it. Although the architecture is absolutely a feast for the eyes. Little quaint buildings, adorable little cottages, gorgeous stone dwellings all built into, seemingly, the mountain side. Something nice about this town is that many of the roads are connected by stairs because literally everything is built on the mountain side. The stairs allow you to walk between the streets.








This rock looks like it is floating. I don't know how it can support a tree growing in it. 

After walking the streets I watch back to my car and I called a place that rents cottages that I had seen along the way, and they had a room for me! So, I am staying in a quaint little cottage on the north end of town. I then went back up the mountain and ate at a beautiful little eatery with a really gorgeous view of the rock and spring literally abutting the side of the building.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment