Two Score Road Trip: Day 6/7:Great Salt Plains State Park
May 11 and 12
Day 6 and 7: Great Salt Plains State Park
I thought it best to write about my experience in Salt Plains State Park as a whole, rather than split up into separate days. Hope it’s not confusing.
Heading north, I arrived in Salt Plains State Park. It is a beautiful area! There is a large lake, and other wildlife areas as well as the remains of a prehistoric (?) body of water that is basically a large salt plain –hence the name. Anyway, The salt plain is apparently the only place in the world where you can dig for selenium crystals.
I had to drive to the other side of the lake from the campground to dig for the selenium crystals. I got a little nervous driving down the mile-long road to where the permitted dig site was. I stopped the car less than half a mile down deciding that this is not the kind of place you take a rental car. The place was very muddy and huge puddles covered the road. I didn't want to risk getting the car stuck with no one else around. I was the only person I saw in the acres and acres of salt plain.



It took me some time to figure out how to find the crystals. I started by
trying to dig my own hole as instructed, but found it easier to use the edges
of someone else’s prior holes. I found quite a few and I am left them out to
dry and harden overnight.
This night I opted to “camp” in my car for $16. Getting to the campsite was
tricky. The location wasn’t well marked and I found myself in the back of a
very rural neighborhood. I drove around the lake a couple of times trying to
figure out where to go but finally found my campsite. Strangely, I was the only
person there. So… I you could say, I got my own bathroom! Flushing toilets and
toilet paper, what more could I want? On the other hand, it was a little creepy
when I let my mind get carried away.

I, of course, was thinking about the last time I slept in my car for a trip. I was living in France and some friends and I decided that we wanted to track down the castle where they filmed “Ever After”. We had rented a car and took off. That night, we all opted to sleep in the car rather than fork out money for a hotel room. There were 4 of us in a compact. Sigh… good times. It was definitely more comfortable having the car to myself, but like I said, a bit creepy.
Anyway, back in the present, I had dinner of prosciutto and crackers and hummus in the back of the car. It was pretty nice, really.
Anyway, I got all tucked in the back of the car with my yoga mat, and towel underneath me for extra padding and covered myself with a blanket. I fit in the back seat perfectly. I loved seeing all the stars in the night sky. That is something I miss living in the city. It was so peaceful. The only sound I could hear was the sound of my eyelashes on the pillow.
As I said, there was something creepy about being the only car in this whole campground that is abutting a neighborhood and main road. When I let my mind get carried away, I was scared. But I reprimanded myself right away, came up with a plan if something were to happen, and then told myself that I have a plan so there's no need to worry now. So, I was able to then rest and enjoy the quiet. I am proud of myself for doing that.
Part of this trip was to do things that scare me. And this was that.
I used to take risks that scared me, but that helped me grow and be a
stronger person. In some ways, I feel like I have been complacent in that
growth. For example, I don't like to take bugs out of the house. I got used to
it when I lived in a house full of bugs. Now, thankfully, my oldest son loves
all living creatures and lovingly picks up the bugs and takes care of them for
me.
Anyway, I had a peaceful, comfortable night. When the morning came, it was glorious! I was still the only one at the campsite and it was so calm and peaceful. I couldn’t get enough of it! I was so tempted to stay all day. The sun was shining down, the weather was clear and I felt so much love for all the world!
My crystals from yesterday's dig
In fact, I may or may not have skipped gaily
around the campsite singing like no one was watching. But you'll never know,
because nobody WAS watching. ;-)



















Now I need to find out more about selenium. Can't say it ever peeked my interest before! What an adventure you are having.
ReplyDeleteThanks! It was really fun. I think my kids would have loved digging. Too bad it's so far away.
ReplyDelete