Monday, May 17, 2021

Two Score Road Trip, Day 10, Mark Twain, a long drive and an old friend

Two Score Road Trip, Day 10, Mark Twain, a long drive and an old friend...

May 15, 2021

My stay at the Quality Inn was just what should be: quality. It was warm and comfortable. I really enjoyed my stay. But when I walked out front doors I walked out into pouring rain. This made driving through the construction-littered crumbly roads that much more challenging. But I was on my way back to Missouri to soak in some Mark Twain!

I spent the morning going around Mark Twain’s boyhood home. There's quite a little complex there that is of his home and several other’s that featured in his books. Becky Thatcher’s house and the Justice of the Peace are two of them.



 Bellow is a pic of me in Huckelberry Finn's house. I don't know if you can tell, but the ceiling is just an inch or two above my head! And I am just 5'4"!




It was fun to get to see them. The most interesting was the museum that is dedicated to his books. I got to ride on Huckleberry Finn's raft and whitewash Tom Sawyer's fence. It was just fun looking around. There were also drawings from the book that Normand Rockwell illustrated.


Although it was raining, I managed to get to all of the buildings without getting too wet.

A side note about the trip, for whatever reason I have been very tightly wound today. Not how I wanted to enjoy one of my last days on this trip. I don't know what it is. My head feels kind of tired. I'm really tired. As much as my soul needed this trip, I think my body is taking a bit of a toll from this kind of irregular lifestyle. lol!

Once again it was extremely maddening that there was no connectivity whatsoever in that historic area. Once again, I had to basically drive out of town to get cell service in order to put in my map coordinates. Luckily, I remembered the way, mostly, from last night. But still, it's really frustrating. It is also surprising as driving along dirt roads for miles in Oklahoma, I had no problem with connectivity. Oh well...

Then I hopped in the car for a 6 and a half hour drive to Cincinnati, Ohio, then over the bridge to Covington, Kentucky!


I arrived late in the evening in Kentucky at the home of a dear friend, who I met in Indonesia while doing a Peacebuilding field school in Jakarta. She was from Jakarta and a huge help to us navigating our way through Indonesia. Anyway, she is now living in Covington. It was so good to catch up with her and meet her dear husband. We had a lovely dinner with great food and engaging conversation. ...and they even lit a candle and sang to me for my birthday! It was really sweet. 



 

Next up: Cincinnati!

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful that you have made friends around the world, and that some of them are close enough to visit! Be safe.

    ReplyDelete