Friday, May 14, 2021

Two Score Road Trip, Day 7: Well this was unexpected

 May 12, 2021

Well, this was unexpected.


 

 Today stated with me waking up and doing a bit of exploration around Salt Plains State Park, if you remember. Well, After that I headed across northern Oklahoma. Yesterday, the enterpreture at the Museum of the Great Plains gave me a map of Oklahoma. This map was valuable for my adventures today. Don't get me wrong, Google Maps and GPS definitely have their value, but looking on a hard copy map with all of the roads appearing all at the same time, I was able to look at my path across the state and see things that I wouldn't have had I just typed in "Barlesville". 

I loved how rural it was driving across the northern part of the state. I was on gravel roads for miles! I drove for many miles without seeing anyone. I saw many farms, both for crops, and cattle. Also, at one point I saw one hundred acres or so occupied by dozens of horses! I have never seen a horse farm like that. I am so curious why the owners will do/ are doing with all of those horses. 

My most exciting find along the way was the Tallgrass Prairie Preserve.


And to think, if I hadn't gotten that Oklahoma map I wouldn't have known this was here and I wouldn't have stopped and seen this site. 

 





There was 15 mile "bison loop". It was really neat. I saw a baby suckling his mama; it was so sweet. 

 

Do you think these bison know that there used to be millions of themselves on these prairies?  

A little further along there was a trail through three different prairie habitats. It felt nice to stretch my legs and it was beautiful to see this thriving ecosystem. 

 




 


Continuing on the rest of the 15 mile loop there were cattle standing across the road completely blocking it. (First picture). There was no way through, so I ended up needing to turn around and go back and out the other way. Amusing!

Driving down the road in rural Oklahoma someone passed me on the road and waved to me! I had totally forgotten that I used to do that growing up in Idaho. It was common courtesy when you drive and past people to wave and smile. It makes me smile; it's such a sweet gesture. People don't do that in the city--you wouldn't be able to keep your hands on the wheel!

Well, this wasn't the only surprise today.... I had planned on just passing through Bartlesville to make up some time on my journey. I stopped at the gas station to gas up (didn't want to risk running out of gas!). While there I pulled out my saved searches and reread about Bartlesville to remember why I wanted to stop through here. And then I remembered... This was home to Frank Lloyd Wright's only skyscraper. I thought I would drive to it, snap some pictures and be on my way. 





As it turns out, as I snapped pictures, I read the signs on it and realized that this structure was actually a hotel in addition to a museum! I immediately changed my travel plans and inquired for a room within. This would be a chance of a lifetime!

 

After inquiring if they had a room, at first they only had a 2-level suite, which was waaaay more hotel room than I needed and for waaay more than I could really justify on a 11 or 12 day road trip, I expressed how much I admired Mr. Wright’s work and my surprise that Price Tower was an Inn. The attendant, then, offered to take me on a brief tour of that floor of the building and I was just enamored. Next thing I knew, he looked back at his computer and told me that a room had become free! He said someone just canceled, but I can’t help thinking that he pulled some strings.

View from my room!

Anyway…. I SLEPT IN A BUILDING DESIGNED BY FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT! This was absolutely unexpected in the best way possible!


No comments:

Post a Comment