Thursday, May 13, 2021

Frank Lloyd Wright; Inn at Price Tower

May 12, 2021

I am geeking out! I am absolutely geeking out! Warning, this is a spoiler alert for Day 7, but I am too excited to wait for these to be in chronological order. Hopefully I will be able to catch up on the last day and a half soon, but for now, I am talking about my stay in the Inn at Price Tower.


I am staying in a Frank Lloyd Wright building! This is the only skyscraper that Frank Lloyd Wright designed. I fell in love with Frank Lloyd Wright architecture when I first saw his Taliesin in Arizona while visiting Spencer's parents. I immediately fell in love. Some hallmarks of his architectural style are his use of nature, huge windows that meet in the corners, and his use of very interesting shapes. He also designs all of the furniture that should be used in the room. Funny enough, he also designed clothes to be worn in the rooms. But clearly that's not going to work in a hotel. LOL!


Anyway, firstly, it was a total surprise that this skyscraper of Frank Lloyd Wright's is actually a hotel in addition to a museum. I hadn't realized that when I pulled up. As I was snapping pictures of the building I saw that it is also an Inn..... And I immediately changed my travel plans and inquired for a room within. This would be a chance of a lifetime.

When I first headed off to college I was interested in being an architect. As a kid I used to draw houses and buildings and I just really really loved it. I often drew interesting shaped buildings, like octagon houses and hexagon houses and doughnut-shaped houses. (you get the picture).

I started college off working on a degree as an architectural drafter. My plan had been to work is a drafter and then go on to get a degree in architecture. However, while taking different college courses my second semester in college I took an anthropology class and completely fell in love. I know I was meant to be an anthropologist. But I really think that had I known about Frank Lloyd Wright and his architectural style before I had begun college, I just know I would have gone to his school in Arizona and learned to be an architect after Frank Lloyd Wright's school of thought. Frank Lloyd Wright is my architectural hero. I don't think that Spencer and I are ever going to build her own house (because old houses have so much character), but if we were, I would want to incorporate many Frank Lloyd Wright elements into it.


Anyway... This place is incredible! It has all of his signature things in it. And I can't believe I am staying in a Frank Lloyd Wright property!!! I am staying and sleeping in art. My life is complete! 

The windows come to a point in the corner, which is a signature thing that he does. The windows even open! Hotels don't typically do that anymore. There are windows on two sides of the room. The furniture is built in and very interesting.


The building itself is an isosceles triangle. The lights in the room are also isosceles triangles. There is not a right angle in the whole building. Below are several pictures. I think I have taken more pics and video from this hotel than I have the rest of the trip thus far! ha! 

All of the steps in the building are shaped like this.

 

And I ate at the restaurant on the 16th floor. Super yummy!


And guess what? Because of the way the distressed aluminum on the outside of the building is angled no one can see in these windows! I am totally sleeping with the curtains open tonight. Contented smile.


PS. My room is on the 10th floor. It is the one lit up all the way across. :-)






2 comments:

  1. I love your enthusiasm--and the picture of you in this entry. You look so young and lovely and relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! This trip has made me 15 years younger and fresher and more relaxed! I really needed this!

    ReplyDelete