This is not a post about my travels during my two score road trip, but rather a reflection on life that came during my time hiking in Hot Springs National Park and I want to share it here for anyone who may be interested.
Many of you know that I snapped my pelvis in December of 2014. It was very very painful and a very very slow and not very steady recovery. So slow that it is difficult to see progress even one month to the next. It seems to be three steps forward two steps back often. Or even five steps forward four steps back. Being told to avoid sitting, standing and walking, the set backs are very discouraging, and dehumanizing.
The best way I found to measure progress was to look from year to year. When I
get impatient with my lack of ability, I remind myself to look back at a year
ago and think about what I was doing then. After thinking about it, I would
realize, “hey, I am doing so much more now than I was last year”. So, as I am
nearing my birthday in a few days and was out on this very quiet trail (I only
hear bird calls, no human calls), I wanted to think about what I was doing for
my birthday last year. Last year, I drove to Sugarloaf Mountain and I hiked by
myself a very long hike, for me. I took it slowly. I stopped and rested as I
needed. I sweat a lot and I journaled. And most of all, I was so proud of what
I was able to accomplish. That was the most hiking I had been able to do up
until that point.
So, looking to today, I again was hiking a mountain called Sugarloaf. (funny,
right?). Though this one is in Arkansas in Hot Springs National Park. I choose
to do a longer route then I would have previously. It was unsteady. It had ups
and downs and steep parts and flat parts and I did okay. The picture at the top of this post was from the top of Goat Rock. I never would have been able to climb those steps a few years ago. Maybe not even last year. definitely not the year before that. I know looking back
over the past year, this is the year that I feel that I'm finally back to a "normal" functioning level physically. I am able to do most of the things that I
want to do. I still have to be careful; I still have to watch the amount that I
do. For example, I just did a big hike today and won't be able to repeat it for a few days. I can't carry too many heavy things and I can't do too many
hikes all together, but I can do a big hike, and as long as I space out my
physical activity, I am okay. This year I feel like I have thrived. I couldn't
be more happy.
I would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge my support team in
this whole recovery process. There is my team of medical professionals--my
physical therapist and my chiropractor as well as my acupuncturist. Early on I
had nieces come and help me with my 3 little kids, including a new born. And
most of all, my loving husband, who has supported me, and cared for me both
mentally and emotionally and physically through this whole process and I know
that he will continue to support me for the rest of our lives. I cannot thank
him enough. And of course, myself, it's been a struggle for sure and there were
a lot of dark days mentally and emotionally. but looking back at things now I
know that I am emotionally better from this. And I know that Spencer and I have
a better relationship because of it. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.


We haven't talked in so long--I'm so glad to hear that you have finally reached this point in your recovery!
ReplyDelete