Thursday, May 20, 2021

Two Score Road Trip, Day 11: Cincinnati and Homeward Bound!

May 16, 2021

Day 11

I woke up today in Covington, Kentucky at the home of my friend Kamelia and her husband, Dave. I had a really fun time at their house chatting and catching up. Kamelia made me a gorgeous breakfast with mushrooms, strawberries, eggs with parsley, and roasted potatoes. Yummy!

 


After that, they took me out for a drive around Covington, up near the water to view across the river to see Cincinnati. It was a beautiful view! 



We then went into Cincinnati, OH and they took me on a driving tour of the city. 

 

One of the highlights was Kamelia and I walking across a beautiful blue Bridge. It was designed by John A. Roebling, the same person who designed the Brooklyn Bridge. Something that is really neat about it is that the road is not solid. It is made of metal squares, almost like metal mesh.

 




 The Gruff is a little cafe near the bridge. We didn't go there, but the name and image made me smile thinking how clever the name is, just at one end of the bridge. HA!

  

The whole city is absolutely beautiful. They also took me to tour around the University where Kamelia works and is working on her PhD in journalism.

 



This pic below is rounded, AND made out of brick! Wild.

Another highlight for my stay with Kamelia is that I helped her with her sewing machine! I helped her thread it so that she was able to use it to sew with. I love teaching people the joy of sewing. I love sharing my love of sewing with other people. Nothing makes me happier then to help a soul along a path that leads to making their first pillowcase. ;-)


And then I was off on a 9-hour drive across several states to get back to my three babies and my wonderful husband. I had the option to stop part way through, but I was eager to get back.

The journey did not begin on the most promising note. There was an accident ahead of me that caused a 40-minute slow down just getting over the bridge from Kentucky into Ohio. But once that was free it was smooth sailing!


Quick note about masks. I entered Maryland and stopped to gas up. The change in masking culture from where I had come from was palpable! They were serious about their masks—everybody was wearing them inside as well as out!

I pulled into the driveway in the 9 o’clock hour, after the kids had fallen asleep. Spencer came out to greet me and we shared a fierce hug 😊 I loved my trip, but boy did I miss this man! 

In the end, I drove through 12 states (though if I had chosen slightly different routes I could have driven through 15--but that wasn't the point of this trip!). I enjoyed each adventure and thoroughly enjoyed going the way of the wind. I came back feeling 15 years younger, happier and refreshed. ...And more grateful than ever for the man I married--for not only supporting this trip, but for really encouraging it.

2 comments:

  1. WELCOME BACK--this has been a most insightful, fascinating journey. I learned so much about you and the places you visited and made me yearn for a road trip adventure after being in pandemic quarantine for over a year. Agree with your mom's comment on how happy and content you looked in your selfies. So glad this adventure met your expectations. Thanks for sharing with me. Marian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks Marian! No doubt you will be on your own adventures soon!

      Delete